The Minister of Trade. Industry & Cooperatives Hon. Amelia Kyambadde has this morning met with the 3 cement manufacturers and wholesalers.
This meeting was aimed to address the issues of increased cement prices and the following decisions have been taken;
- Government is to immediately regulate the export of cement allowing manufacturers to ration their exports to address the scarcity problem.
- To fast track the clearance of clinker that belongs to Hima that is held at the border by the Uganda Revenue Authority (URA).
- UMEME to sort out the problem of power outages that are affecting production at Hima cement
- Government to recommend a cap on wholesale and retail prices
- Ministry of Trade to work with Ministry of Energy to fast track the mining licence for limestone for Hima cement
- Fast track the removal of 10% import duty on clinker – raw material for cement
- Cement Manufacturers have made a commitment which they are to put in writing to double their supply in the next 3 weeks
- If there’s still scarcity of cement by mid May 2018, Government will open up and allow importation of cement at special duty rate.
- A new cement plant is opening up in June 2018 and this is expected to increase production.