Business

No Funds to Complete Karuma Hydro Power Project- Energy minister Muloni

The Karuma hydro power project’s completion has further been pushed to next year in July 2019.

 

According to the energy minister Eng Irene Muloni during  a tour of the construction works by president Museveni yesterday, she informed the president that the project is 80% complete but the other 20% will be completed instead of this year as earlier communicated.

 

“The progress now stands at 80 percent completion while that of the transmission line is at 42 percent,” she confessed.

 

However, the minister informed the president that there are no funds to speed up the process as earlier anticipated which has made the construction very slow.

 

“There is insufficient funds to carry out compensations associated with the implementation of the resettlement action plan which has

delayed completion,” she said

 

It should be noted that the project was initially planned to be complete by December 2018.

 

The Government of Uganda contributed 15 percent as counterpart funding of the Engineering, Procurement, and Construction (EPC) cost, while the China Export and Import Bank is financing 85 percent.

 

To Top