The Central Executive Committee (CEC) sitting at Chobe Safari Lodge in Nwoya district has discussed and resolved to use Parishes as the Focal Points in the new strategy sought to transform Uganda’s enclave economy.
The retreat chaired by the Party National Chairman and Head of State H.E Yoweri Kaguta Museveni reached the final resolutions after nearly two days of in-depth deliberations. This particular session on Economy was chaired by the Vice Chairperson in charge of the Eastern Region Hon. (Flight Captain) Mike Mukula.
Both the Senior Presidential Advisor on the Economy Dr. Ezra Suruma and the Finance Minister Hon Matia Kasaijja presented guiding papers to the CEC members on how to tackle the estimated 68% households still surviving on Subsistance Farming.
1. The National Leadership shall guide the Population in the process of the transformation of the enclave economy.
2. The Parish shall be the focal point for the transformation of the countryside.
3. A number of elements shall be established at the Parish level that will include a Store, Technical Services, Irrigation Efforts and Fertiliser Distribution among others. The Parish Chief shall coordinate these activities. The Administration & Technical staff at this level shall posses a Diploma as the minimum academic qualification.
4. The Officers at the Sub County level shall be Degree holders, qualified in Crop and Animal Husbandry.
5. Banking & Financial Service Centres shall be located at the District, and made available at the Parish.
Credit shall be focussed initially on Coffee, Maize, Cocoa, Citrus and Vanilla among others.
6. The equivalent of the Guilds (in England) of groups of producers around specific activity shall be the main target group or actors.
In all this, the leadership shall study the Kiruhura Model and draw aporopriate lessons for the rest of the country.
Meanwhile the Honourable CEC Members yesterday visited Gulu Dairy Farm in Gulu Municipality owned by the youthful Tonny Kidega aged 39, and Bukona Agro Prcessors in Lapem, Nwoya District operated by the Indian Investors.
The retreat continues tomorrow (Tuesdsy) with the continuation of President Yoweri Museveni’s presentation on Ideology and Strategy.