The leader of opposition in Parliament has this morning swung inaction to see that several electoral gaps are addressed ahead of the highly anticipated 2021 general elections.
Speaking during at the August House, the joint opposition spokesperson Hon. Betty Nambooze stated that this has been done because of the weakness by the ruling party to present to Parliament the necessary bills containing the required electoral reforms as ordered by the Supreme Court and as demanded by the population.
Nambooze added that as the opposition in Parliament, they would like to address the country as on several issues as detailed below.
“That with the permission of the Speaker and in compliance with Our Rules of Procedure, the opposition will be presenting to Parliament all the necessary bills required for reforming and facilitating the holding of free and fair elections.
The broader areas that our bills seek to address include but
not limited to the following;
1. Introduction of a federo government
2. Constitution of an independent electoral commission
3. Securing and strengthening the independence of Parliament
4. Introduction of a majority and minority leaders in Parliament
5. Making a presidential candidate who garners 10% in general elections to be a Member of Parliament
6. Introduction of 10% nominated MPs proportional to votes garnered during presidential elections.
7. Tightening the provision of the Constitution that bars UPDF from participating in partisan politics by removing them from Parliament and from any other partisan institution.
8. Reinstating and entrenching presidential term limits with retrospectitive provisions.
9. Creation of a Speaker’s Panel to advise the office of the Speaker and preside over Parliament in case the Speaker and Deputy are not present
10. Introduction of a presidential running mate
11. Providing for a lean Government of only 21 Ministers and 21 State Ministers
The Mukono municipality added that as opposition, they cannot fold their hands and let the ruling National Resistance Movement (NRM) appointed Electoral Commission, prepare and serve our nation with another sham election.
“The reason the NRM has refused to present the Bills as ordered by the Supreme Court, is because many of them are beneficiaries of rigged elections. We take note that some of the NRM leaders are also victims of flawed elections.” Nambooze stated.
She also revealed that since 2015, the ruling NRM has been promising to establish a Constitutional Review Commission.
“But because for them the Constitution is only amended to benefit Museveni and they have already done so through the Raphael Magyezi Bill, they see no urgency. Already the media is reporting a plot by the NRM to replace presidential elections with parliamentary elections. That a party with majority MPs will be the one to elect the president. This is intended to shield the aged Museveni from the tedious campaigns.” She revealed. Thereby inviting proposals from all stakeholders and democracy seeking forces with such other modifications that will give our country the much awaited free and fair elections.
“The country is aware that presidential nominations will be conducted around August next year (2020). This means will no longer have the two years that the Supreme Court recommended. We will soon be visiting political party and civil society offices to consult on further necessary modifications.” Nambooze revealed.